Saturday, November 29, 2008

Salaam Bombay... I have to Work on Monday!

It has happened again, this time in Mumbai. Not that Mumbai is new to such attacks, but this time the attack was special. This one was beamed live to television sets across the world. This was not the case with Delhi blasts, Jaipur blasts, Ahmadabad blasts (Or was it Surat) or any of the blasts in the past across our country. Not that our country is new to blasts...

As I type this post, the combing operations at Mumbai are still on, and for all we know there may be more surprises. I salute the brave men of NSG who put their lives at line for the rest of us. But may I ask.. What happens next?

No. I am not talking about the NSG operations; neither about the outcome from the visit of ISI head to India, not even about the affect of this tragedy on various elections lined up. I am questioning something more intrinsic to the nature of our country, something we all know but hate to admit.

So allow me to spit out nonsense like I always do… But before I do that let me take a minute as NDTV is asking me to SMS Salam to pay homage. You see 30,000 people have already sent it. Also, I cannot forget Star News for bringing me the exclusive footage. Aaj Tak did a commendable job too in showing me the photos of terrorists first. I also need to thank CNN IBN and Zee News for whatever the hell they did. And India TV just deserves a Nobel prize for what they did... But most of all I thank the sponsors of the commercials so we can take breaks for food and other bodily functions and remind ourselves that life will go on as usual, and we still need to buy that life insurance, that LCD TV and get a loan for that car.

Some channel was also playing Lata Mangeshkar “Ae Mere Watan Ke Logon, Zara Aankh Me Bhar Lo Pani…” in the backdrop with the visuals of last rites of various cops. Commendable job all of you… Indeed Salam.

What is wrong with my brain you ask sir? I ask you what if the hostage situation was not in 5 star hotels but at some market place (let’s say sarojini nagar in Delhi) where the middle class and poor people go to shop and carry on with their miserable little lives? Would we get the kind of international media attention we got this time? NDTV did us proud as its name was quoted in The Gaurdian as a source you see…

Israel, America, Britain, Australia all reacted on this news. I couldn’t help but sense the hidden pride some primates around me were feeling on India catching international attention. Nothing wrong with it, this was a big tragedy and deserves international attention… but don’t we see it’s so obvious… when the dust settles India is alone in this battle? Is the land that produced Chanakya so empty of strategic thinking?

So they tell me the terrorists were from Karachi. Thank god for that… If they had an Indian connection, it would have been a real shame for all of us. Of course there are many places/people in this country we all know as separatists, but come on… these people had GPS and Satellite Maps and other high tech gadgets. The idea that they had any local support is preposterous isn’t it? I mean, what do Indians know about technology? Plus it’s not good for our image you see… We are Incredible India, and sometimes we are India Shining too.

The political primates have risen above party lines, I am glad to see that. Tomorrow they will get back under the party line and start canvassing making this tragedy an issue… But how can I blame them… Had it been the other party I am sure none of this would have happened. Isn’t it? Here you go… please take my common man vote and secure my country. And when you fail, I will vote again to the other side… hoping for the best!

Why not just admit it and start correcting the problems? Our security infrastructure is poor. Our governance is grossly incompetent to even understand what’s wrong with it… forget about improvements. Our media is too immature to make any real difference. Our democratic setup has been taken for a ride for far too long so we have stopped complaining. We continue to live as a bunch of states/groups held together by the INR and not as India.

Of course I won’t SMS Salam, because I did that last time too and nothing has changed since then, except the SMS rates that have gone up. I don’t want to listen to Lata Mangeshkar songs in the backdrop, give me some victory song. Till then let me carry on with my life… The share market is killing me!

5 comments:

Roops said...

True akshat every sensible indian is feeling the same....but then wot r ppl like us also doing 4 it? i feel guilty for the ppl who have died this time ....n every time... but the question remains now wot?

just like v have 1000s of things to complain 4 these politicians, media n ol, wot abt the common man? i guess its all a part of the blame game..they play on national level n v play on individual level.

Gujju.... said...

Exactly depecting the feeling that is going in my mind... being in Bombay... Ooops... its called Mumbai right now.
(apologies as I still do not know marathi)

2 issues... the NSG's were mainly from North Indian states... where is Raj Thakrey this time?

Secondly... Mumbai Spirit... bloody helll its not the spirt... its our salary and bread at stake... we need to go in the Office on Monday (actually several of us went on fridy itself) not because we want to say that you bloddy Terrorists... we won't let you win, but becaues I don't have the answer what to do next.
In the first place I do not want to be in Mumbai, and on the second... I am not having any other option.
Its our lameness or numbness presented in a beautifully decorated frame of "Spirit"

Now just watch the blame game that has started.

And to correct... it was Ahmedabad that suffered the blasts... probably Surtis were bit lucky.

ravi_sarin said...

very true iam feeling the same.and iam very angry about the behaviour of lal krishan advani for not attending the all party meet instead going on election campaign.that shows that for him country is secondary and his party is first.
ravi sarin

MO! said...

You are right about our incompetence in securing our own country and how vulnerable it is in the wake of the recent terrorist attacks.

I had an argument with my Dad about this when he said that the efforts of the Indian forces are being appreciated the world over because they tried to save hostages however, I sincerely think that the initial reaction was idiotic. Nobody really knew what to do. They were indeed God Damn slow in reacting. Your blog entry brings out the real truth behind that slow reaction in two words...
"sheer incompetence".

Arguments aside... now the big question I guess is... when's the next one happening? How many more innocent people would die in that one? How many more of such attacks would we need to withstand before we do something like what was done in Afghanistan. Argue it as much as you can but such an operation is what is needed to avert going through more such brazen attacks.

Maverick said...

hey akshat, that was really beautifully penned. it was as if u were quoting what i felt.