Saturday, September 27, 2008

Finding a House in Chennai

So I have moved to Chennai… at least for the next 6 months. I did not find time to even meet my friends in Delhi before I left, as the new job required me to arrive there ASAP. It was a long flight and unfortunately the air hostess was not pretty enough to keep me occupied.

For the first week I was in one of the best 4 star hotels the city had to offer. The hotel was nice, but it was the pub at the hotel that was funny. This place had a self styled DJ and a strange crowd. But since I had nothing else to do I went there with a friend. I ordered a chilled beer. He could not understand. I knew what to do. I ordered a chilllllled beeeeer. This time he got it and got me a beer that was mildly cool. For some reason I have not been able to find really chilled beer in the city. But my quest is on.

Then came the tough part… Finding an accommodation in Chennai. My friends tried there best to help and finally I found the number of a person called Senthil. Now this fellow was really interesting. Over the phone, he kept talking to my auto rickshaw driver instructing him which place to show me next. The auto guy took me to 3 – 4 places and I liked one. The auto rickshaw drivers in this city are known to be rascals of the first grade, when it comes to fair pricing. Surprisingly this dude was super cool and charged reasonable amounts. The only trouble was he did not know English and I do not know Tamil. Through some agreed upon hand gestures we were able to communicate.

In the evening the great Mr. Senthil agreed to meet me. I had taken an off from the office specially on a Friday to settle this house-finding-and-shifting business within the weekend. I was waiting at the house when this fellow suffering from malnutrition walks in and introduces himself as Senthil. He pulls up his lungi, sits on the couch and places his 4 mobile phones one after the other on the table with great care. Then he offers me a seat and asks me what he can do for me. Now I am a reasonably calm guy but I had wandered in the Chennai sun since morning. So I simply said why he is here if he does not know what I want from him. Then he told me that he has seen all the highs and lows of life and is saturated with money and how he is almost about to attain nirvana. I wanted to slap him but he would have died.

Now, Chennai is cheap place as compared to Delhi or Hyderabad or Bangalore as far as cost of living goes but since I am a royalty, I went for a luxury room. Now that the deal with Mr. Senthil was set I went back to the hotel and had some more chilllllled beeeeer.

Waiting to see what this city has to offer.

Cheeeerzzzz

3 comments:

Grungetalker said...

Yen daa rascal wotha mairaandi! Chennai chicks are hot dude, you need to find out the right places. That's it!

Vasu. said...

Chennai is one place where English is spoken equal to Tamil. We say version as version and not version as vergen like northies. Without knowing Tamil you can survive in Chennai but without knowing Hindi you can't stay in Delhi or in any part of north india.

Akshat Joshi said...

Hi Vasu

Please define northies. The way english is spoken changes in this country from state to state.

If you read my posts with a calm mind you will realize I am not at all talking about Hindi or Tamil here. I am just mentioning my experiences. Wonder why that upsets you!