Monday, October 6, 2008

No Tamil? What are you doing in Chennai?

On the way back from my office, the cab drops me about 1.5 KM away from the where I live. Now in most cities, you would say this is not a problem at all and start telling me about options… but hold your horses, we are talking about Chennai.

I went to the bus stop. All the buses had sign boards in Tamil. I tried asking people standing at the bus stop which bus to take. Most could not understand my English. I knew what to do. I asked “go-a straight-a which-a bus-a” (which bus route should I take to go straight). Instantly some people realized what I was asking and told me to board “Yum Thurdeen” or “Yes Fifdeen” (M13 or S15). I thanked them and waited. The buses came and there was a bee hive of people hanging out from its gates. I decided not to “board”.

Then I asked a local guy if I should take an auto or a shared auto. This guy told me that auto would not oblige since this is a short distance. And then he told me shared auto is anyway a better option as I can save money. I told him it’s not all that big a saving. He then explained that it’s not about the money… I should take a shared auto because men and women share it and you get to rub shoulders with ladies. He was shaking his shoulders up and down while telling me this and I could tell he almost had a mental orgasm.

Finally I found a shared auto. There is no color coding between regular and shared autos in Chennai but after a while you can guess by looking at the make of the auto. I tried explaining the driver where I wanted to go but since I don’t know Tamil, it was a problem. Soon a lady sitting in the shared auto obliged and explained the driver where I wanted to go. Thanking her, I boarded the shared auto to notice this was an educated professional lady. She immediately asked me “No Tamil? What are you doing in Chennai?” to which I said “I am working here in Chennai”.

She had a sympathetic look on her face. So had I…

4 comments:

Vasu. said...

Dear Friend,

Chennai is a much better place when compared to any other part of India since they at least have the bus number and the route in which they ply in English. I am a chennaite and have extensively travelled in North India and Kolkata which are pathetic. I agree with you with the autowallahs in Chennai.

Akshat Joshi said...

Vasu Again!

Bus routes are displayed in english in many other cities.

Just for the record I don't think Chennai is pathetic. I like some aspects of it. I enjoyed the music festival here. Pongal was fun too, and most of my friends here are "Southies", not by compulsion but by choice.

You need to lighten up a little. Have a sense of humor about yourself and life will be easier. Would love to see your comments on other posts that do not pertain to Chennai.

Yours
"Northie"

Anonymous said...

"Mental Orgasm" - Really a fine selection of words...I cant stop laughing :)

Ravi Singal said...

Nice one dude.. u explained the misery of non Tamilians aptly..